Dragon Door Kettlebells

Order Authentic Russian Kettlebells

Friday, April 30, 2010

Kettlebells, Training and Injuries

Lately, I have seen a ton of posts relating to lower back discomfort when using KB's. Here are some things to think about if you honestly want to learn what we teach and practice as RKC's.

1. Get cleared by a Doctor, they normally know best.

2. Get screened by a PT, SFMA or FMS certified individual. I am not saying that the FMS is the only way to screen, but it's very consistent and will give your trainer/PT a nice roadmap on what you need to work on. Oh and it works!

3. Spend the money and visit an RKC. I thought I knew how to swing a bell before I was an RKC, but I didn't. My point is that you can read all the books the Pavel has written and may do very well, but nothing beats working with an RKC who has invested thousands of hours and dollars to hone his/her craft.

4. Learn a proper hip hinge. This is must, period. A hip hinge practiced correctly should not create pain. If you are swinging a bell and it hurts, did you get cleared by a Doctor? Did you get screened? Did you visit a RKC?

If you did all of those and it still hurts, seek out a Doctor and start fresh.

5. Master the basics. At the RKC we spend 3 full days on 6 exercises. I can guarantee you that almost all RKC's still practice the basic 6 and are still perfecting their technique.

Don't rush into exercises because they look sexy. I would rather see a perfect swing than a viking push-press went wrong.

6. If it hurts, stop. Do I have to explain?

Most RKC's are pretty cool people. Most are willing to help. If you need a hand, reach out. We are all passionate about Kettlebell training. We took the RKC because we truly love and believe in Kettlebell Training and the RKC.

Just my 2 cents...

1 comment:

  1. Lately, I have seen a ton of posts relating to lower back discomfort when using KB's. Here are some things to think about if you honestly want to learn what we teach and practice as RKC's. kettlebell training courses

    ReplyDelete